Tuesday, April 07, 2009

American Idol Top 8

Ok, so not as exciting as the pending birth of my first niece, but still a good night. Tonight's Idol was the Top 8, and they were singing songs from the year they were born. Let me talk to you about this for a second. The oldest contestant, Danny Gokey, was born in 1980. 1980. The oldest. And the youngest, Allison, born in effing 1992. If that doesn't make you feel old and decrepit, I don't know what will. Anyhoo....I'll step off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening. Let's get started with the breakdown. Some were good, some were amazing and some were downright weird. Ok, only one was "downright weird". Read on for more details.....

DANNY-born in 1980,he sang "Stand By Me". A good performance, he had the unlucky task of singing first (the first one is usually forgettable by the end). His voice sounded great and he made Paula dance-which truly, is something I never want to see again. At least her boobs were covered up tonight.

KRIS-born in 1985 (shit, I'm old),he sang "All She Wants To Do Is Dance". Kris is adorable, and he sang well, but I was all kinds of confused, listening to the music and weird arrangement, I couldn't even focus on his singing. Or the fact that he's adorable. Simon used one of his favorite slam words, "indulgent". And I kinda have to agree......

LIL-born in 1984, she sang "What's Love Got To Do With It". Oh, Lil, Lil, Lil. What is going on with you girl? It was a big ol hot mess, totally karaoke, totally sounded like she was trying to do an impersonation of Tina Turner but damn did she look hot!

ANOOP-born in 1986 (what the F?), Anoop sang "True Colors". I think he did Cyndi Lauper justice. It was a nice song, his voice sounded great, loved the high note at the end, he had good control of his voice. Overall good job although I fear he'll be in the bottom two.

SCOTT-born in 1985, he sang....Survivor? "The Search Is Over"? Really? The cheesiest of all cheesy love ballads. He wasn't at the piano! He plays the guitar too! He got a haircut! The high notes were atrocious! And that's all I got to say about that.....

ALLISON-born in effing 1992, she sang "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. Great job, even Simon liked it. And I was thinking the same thing Randy said about her reminding him of Kelly Clarkson. There ARE similarities.....

MATT-born in 1985, Matt sang "Part Time Lover". LOVED IT!!!!!!! I was dancing on my couch, totally into it, great vocals,great performance, great job!!!!

ADAM-born in 1982, he sang "Mad World" (never heard of it). First of all, is anyone surprised that he liked to play dress up as a child as opposed to playing sports? I mean seriously? Now on to the singing-is this guy for real? Those vocals were INSANE (in a good way). Wow and wow. I mean, he got a standing ovation from SIMON, that's got to count for something, right?

My take is that Adam and Matt were the best of the night, with Danny, Allison and Anoop also doing well.

The bottom three has got to be Scott, Lil and I'm sad to say, but Kris. I think Scott's magical AI run may be over. It's been real dude.

KD out.

No comments: