Thursday, August 13, 2009

There will be no white flag above my door....

....or maybe there will be. I think my faith in the Cubs actually died last weekend when they lost 3 of 4 to the Rockies and played like total ass. Last night's game only confirmed what I already knew in my heart, and that is this, dear Cubs fans: there's always next year.

I know some of my fellow Cubs fans refuse to give up the fight, and I salute you. And I hope to God your faith is not in vain. I hope to God that miracles really do happen and that the Cubbies are gonna mount like the greatest comeback in MLB history.

At this point, believing in the Cubs is kinda like believing Carlos Marmol isn't gonna ever hit another batter, or like believing that Jeff Samardjiza is ever gonna be a good starting pitcher, or like believing that Alfonso Soriano is gonna quit doing that ridiculous little hoppity hop out in left field, or like believing that my love for Aramis Ramirez will someday die-it's just simply not realistic. Yes, I'm encouraged by the fact that Ted Lilly will be back soon and that Carlos "oh my back hurts" Zambrano will be back soon and that Aramis "I think my arm may have fallen off but DAMN I'm cute" Ramirez may (or may not) be back soon. Yes, it's true all the pieces of the puzzle COULD come together, it's true that all the stars COULD align and it's true that Milton Bradley COULD refrain from having another temper tantrum.....all of that is possible but not likely.

Know what really chaps my ass? The fact that the Cardinals are in first. Living in St. Louis right now is kinda what I'd imagine living in hell would be like. A-hole Cardinal fans gloating every chance they get, reiterating their mantra "Cubs suck!!!!" to anyone that will listen, and still getting all starry-eyed when they see fireworks ("hey mama, what's that bright shiny thing in the sky???").

Ok, so it's been 101 years. What's another one, really? We are clearly a patient people. Well, that, and slightly delusional.......

4 comments:

Jen Estes said...

If it makes you feel better KD, they may go to the playoffs but the Cardinals probably haven't quite sucked enough this year to earn them another "impressive" World Series title. (Apparently that honor goes to teams two games over .500. Not teams that win 116 - or even 97! - games. And that's why...a 7-game series shouldn't get you a trophy.)

kristy said...

Wow, so Cub fans hate fireworks?

KD said...

no....we just think it's funny that they shoot them off ALL THE TIME at Busch Stadium.... ;)

kristy said...

Well, it IS good wholesome, family fun. you know how st.louis is...:)