Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday randomness

This morning on my way to work I heard the Kenny Loggins classic "Footloose", which caused me to reminisce about the first time I saw that movie. No, it wasn't in the '80's when it originally came out, it was circa 1994, my freshman year of college. And the first time I ever got drunk.

So, in high school I was a good kid (I'm sure my parents would agree), I didn't party or stay out late (ok, once when I was out on a date and got home late...I was grounded for like a month, but whatever) and never touched one drop of alcohol. Until I went away to college. I mean, isn't that what EVERY kid does once they're away from home for the first time? Ironically, I remember most of this drunken experience well. My roommate Stormy and I (yes, her real name) and our respective boyfriends at the time went on a double date picnic....complete with a bottle of Boone's Farm's Strawberry Hill. Classy, right? Stormy and I split that bottle of Boone's and KD got drunk for the first time. So, what does cult classic Footloose have to do with this story? Well, after our picnic we decided to rent a movie and head back to the ultra cool dorms. Yep, you guessed it, we rented Footloose and I proclaimed that I had never seen it (true). Let me tell you, my newly drunk ass thought that was the FUNNIEST MOVIE I'D EVER SEEN. I'm talking hysterical, drunken laughing. I think Kevin Bacon would agree that it is not a comedy, not even the part where Ren is dancing in the barn. Ah, the innocence of drunken youth......

So, what else is going on? I was talked into working at my part-time job tonight after slaving away all day at my full-time job-yay me. After that I am gonna go see my Mikey, so that's cool. I heart my Mikey (our friendship shall be tested in a couple of weeks as we travel for the first time together....to Vegas. Yikes.). Tomorrow I'm having lunch with my friend Renee and then pretty much not doing anything the rest of the weekend. Awesome. It's my last quiet weekend before many, many busy weekends approach. I shall take advantage of the down time.

The Cubbies begin interleague play tonight.....against the Rangers. Awesome. I realize my Cubbie expectations are low, so I shouldn't be too disappointed when they get swept. Hey, it's not being negative, it's being realistic. Maybe at least we'll get a Rich Harden's Ass sighting. And a big GFY to the Cincinnasty Reds for blowing a 9-0 lead, losing 10-9 and allowing the Cardinals to get back in 1st place. I'll expect the Reds to be in 4th place by mid-June. Dusty Baker sucks.

Also in Cubs news, Bob Howry. Really? Do the Cubs not remember how much he sucked the first time he was on the team? I mean, yea, he's kinda hot, but hot in a I-just-want-you-to-sit-there-and-look-pretty sort of way not gee-I-really-want-you-to-blow-some-games-for us (that's what we have John Grabow for-DUH). SIGH. Just another case of the Cubs making moves that make no sense whatsoever. I really shouldn't be surprised. It's what they do. It's maddening, but I put up with it (because I don't know any better.....).

Speaking again of the Cubs, I will be at my own personal Disneyland next week! (Translation: Wrigley Field). It's been five long years, but mama's comin home boys! And, pssst, Tyler Colvin, we're staying at the Best Western. Just sayin. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

7 comments:

Blue said...

You know, I've never ever seen Footloose, but now I'll associate it with you getting drunk....lol
By the way, I fear this series with the Rangers will not be good, I've watched some of their games, could be a slaughter. I think that Vlad will hit a few out of the park against us.

KD said...

Vlad, Kinsler, Young and the rest of that damn Rangers team.
Yep, Blue, I'm with you, I fear this weekend's series. At least we don't have to face Rich Harden. Who the F asked the Rangers to get good, anyway? I mean, seriously.

the good news is that Marlon Byrd had great years playing FOR Texas in that stadium, so let's hope he has some success this weekend at least.

Blue said...

Let's not forget Hamilton, he's been hitting pretty well lately, so has Smoak, the first baseman...gezzzzz, can we just forfit and use the time off for resting?

KD said...

OMG, how can I forget Josh Hamilton!!! Ever since I read his book, I have just loved him. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I cried like a baby.

Blue said...

Really? I'll have to look for it and add it to collection.

KD said...

Yea, it's really good...all about his struggle w/drugs and how he came out of it. Very good stuff.

Blue said...

I have severeal sports related books lined up for me to read, along with other non sports books, so one more won't hurt.