Tuesday, July 12, 2011

2011 Home Run Derby

Ok, so who watched the Home Run Derby last night?

I watched the entire thing. I find it fun. This year, they selected an AL captain (Big Papi) and an NL captain (Cubs future first baseman, Prince Fielder) who then selected 3 guys from their respective leagues to take part in the derby. Once I saw the choices, I was certain an AL guy would win. And turns out, I was right.

The AL team consisted of Big Papi, Adrian Gonzalez, Robinson Cano and Jose Bautista. The NL team consisted of Fielder, Matt Holliday (looking delicious, I might add), Matt Kemp (also looking delicious) and Rickie Weeks. Wait...WTH? Rickie Weeks? Seriously Prince? I realize he's your homie or whatever but, seriously?

Anyhoo, the top four that made it to the 2nd round were A-Gon, Big Papi, Cano and the lone NL'er left, Fielder.

The final round came down to A-Gon and Cano. Breaking a Home Run Derby record, Cano won it with 12 homers in the final round. His dad was the one pitching to him (is that an unfair advantage?) and let me just say, when he and his dad were hugging and his dad was saying what I think was "one more" in Spanish and then Cano said "I love you dad", my heart just melted. Sure, he's a dirty Yankee, but that moment was the sweetest thing ever. I heart sappy.

So, congrats to Robinson Cano. I'll go back to hating you and your team on Thursday.

Tonight is the All-Star Game. SO excited. Can't wait to see lil Starlin Castro! :)

No comments: