Thursday, September 01, 2011

Jury duty blows

To those people that get excited when they get summoned for jury duty, I have this to say to you: Are you effin crazy? I had jury duty yesterday and it was the most God-awfully boring day of my life. Hands down.

When I got the summons about a month ago, I immediately started thinking of ways I could get out of it. None of them panned out. So, bright and early yesterday morning, I headed for downtown STL to the courthouse...even though I had no idea where it actually was. Luckily, they do shuttles from the parking garage so I was transported to courthouse. And then, my boredom began. EIGHT HOURS of sitting. EIGHT. OMG. I read magazines and nearly finished an entire book. I never got called. So, I sat there with about 300 other city of St. Louis residents all....day....long. Several people fell asleep. Then they gave us an hour and 45 min for lunch? Really? Is this how our government really operates? Nearly two hours for lunch? Sounds about right. When I started hearing rumors that we were gonna have to come back today, I nearly cried. Luckily, at 4pm, the deputy lady said we had served our time and didn't have to come back. Thank you baby Jesus. I am not one of those people that at all care about my civic duty.  They say I won't get called again for at least another 12 months. That better be true. I seriously would have rather been at work. Now that's bad.

3 comments:

Jen Estes said...

Ugh. Sounds about right. I have yet to be called but I too dread it. Do you get paid? I've heard rumors that you get like $15 a day or that your employer has to pay you, but I've always wondered how this would work for self-employed peeps.

KD said...

The payment in St. Louis City is $12 a day...and it takes them 4-6 weeks to mail it, apparently. Whew, I'll try not to spend it all in one place!

Jen Estes said...

Ha!